Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Weak is Good

I'm learning that to be weak is ok.


God created us each as image bearers, with specific weaknesses to be used to glorify him.


The very thing we want removed from our lives- if only we didn't have that one weird thing about ourselves we would be a pretty cool person-- whatever that thing is, that is there on purpose-


Every person has it and God wants to use it, not remove it.


The weaker you are the more powerful God can be through you.


His power is not only manifested when we've overcome our weakness.


But also despite our weakness, in the very midst of it...


I saw this happen yesterday.


We are sharing our stories in community group. I am really bad at public speaking. You might be thinking, "Oh I struggle with the same thing", I'm sure I'm worse at public speaking than you are, but anyway... I had to share my story and I prayed for God to be glorified through me. And then I had this eureka moment. Everytime I've prayed for God to use me in this area, I figured he would miraculously change me from being a bad public speaker to an amazing one.  That would be God glorifying wouldn't it? But he impressed on me that he doesn't need to remove the weakness to be glorified, he can be glorified even when my weakness is very very evident. And that is exactly what he did.


I shared my story.


It was rough.


I was nervous.


I didn't get all my thoughts together.


But somehow people were encouraged by my story.


Not only were they encouraged but I was encouraged by their grace to me in the midst of my weakness.


So God was glorified.


He was glorified right in the middle of my weakness.


That's the miracle I've been waiting for.


So as much as I would like this thorn to be removed, it's nice to know that I don't have to wait around for my better self to arrive.


It's nice to know that whatever self I am, no matter how weak this self may be, it can be used for God's glory.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Cor. 12:9

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post - i came across your blog because you left a comment on mine, but i'm glad i did, as i'm finding it encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that's cool. I'm glad ur encouraged, glad someone's reading it, lol!

    ReplyDelete